A restaurant collapsed on Saturday in the city of Linfen, north China’s Shanxi Province, local authorities said. At least 29 people died in the accident, which happened at around 9:40 a.m. in Xiangfen County. Rescuers are still searching for those trapped in the debris of the collapsed two-story building.

Updated at 13:13 BJT, Sunday

Shanxi’s provincial government has formed an investigation team to look into the collapse.

Leader of the team, Xue Jun, also head of the provincial emergency management department, vowed to identify the cause of the collapse quickly and hold those units and individuals responsible for the incident accountable.

Updated at 8:20 BJT, Sunday

The death toll from the collapse has risen to 29 and the cause of the incident is under investigation.

A total of 57 people have been pulled out of the debris and the rescue operation ended at 3:45 a.m. BJT on Sunday.

02:34

Updated at 7:05 BJT, Sunday

At least 20 people were killed, seven people are seriously injured and 21 others have minor injuries as of 1:30 a.m. BJT on Sunday.

There are no life-threatening injuries among the hospitalized patients.

A total of 48 people have been successfully pulled out of the debris so far.

Updated at 21:29 BJT

The State Council Work Safety Committee said it will supervise the investigation into the incident.

The committee demanded the provincial government of Shanxi immediately investigates, and said the result should be released to the public upon approval by the committee.

According to the latest information, 45 people have been pulled out of the debris. Among them, 17 have been confirmed dead while 28 others are injured.

Rescue work is underway after a restaurant collapsed in the city of Linfen, north China’s Shanxi Province, August 29, 2020. /VCG

Updated at 19:52 BJT

The death toll from the collapse has climbed to 17, as the rescue work continues.

So far, 45 people have been brought out, including the dead. A total of 28 people have been injured, of which seven are serious.

Updated at 18:19 BJT

At least 13 people were confirmed dead in the collapse, as of 17:00 BJT on Saturday.

So far, 43 people have been brought out, including the dead and four seriously injured ones.

Updated at 16:18 BJT

01:11

At least five people were confirmed dead after a two-storey restaurant collapsed in Xiangfen County, Linfen City, north China’s Shanxi Province on Saturday morning.

An estimated 37 people were buried after the accident happened.

So far, 33 have been pulled out. Among them, five people have been confirmed dead, with one severely injured.

More than 700 people are involved in the ongoing rescue operation.

(CGTN’s Hu Chao contributed to the story.)/https://news.cgtn.com/